This highly requested blog post has been a long time coming. And while I am not the most enthusiastic blogger, I am SUPER enthusiastic about grounding, earthing, & connecting to nature – so here we are!
If you follow my instagram you most likely catch my video each morning walking around my backyard without any shoes on, staring up at the sun with my warm lemon water in hand. And yes, my neighbors think I am crazy…
I first learned of the power of grounding a few years ago and I can say with my entire heart – it has changed my life. Aside from the list of reasons to begin grounding that I will drop below, the most powerful benefit of taking time each morning to put my feet on the earth is the connection it has created between me and Mother Earth. This connection drives my passion, inspiration, creativity and willingness to continue learning, growing and evolving.
With that said – the reason I began to ground in the first place was because I learned that when we ground, it promotes healing throughout the entire body.
This is because our body is composed primarily of water and minerals which in turn, makes it a great conductor of electricity. When we come into direct contact with the earth whether it be barefoot in the grass, toes in the sand or repotting our plants – the free electrons from the earth are absorbed into the body. This energy travels through our energy field and chakras – balancing the body and healing us at the cellular level.
As humans, we are bioelectrical beings that carry a positive charge, which tends to build up in our bodies over time. And since the earth has a negative charge, when we make contact through grounding we actually discharge our excess energy. This is what produces massive healing at the cellular level!!!
If I haven’t convinced you yet, here are the other benefits to grounding:
- Regulates cortisol, your body’s main stress hormone
- Neutralizes free radicals (these are highly reactive molecules that damage cells)
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces stress
- Improves sleep
- Reduces some risk factors of cardiovascular disease
- Reduces pain
- Shifts the body from the stressed fight-or-flight mode to the restorative rest-and-digest mode
Now, if you are a New Englander like me, or are in any area that has all four seasons, you know the weather has dropped and will continue to do so. Which has led to a bunch of messages asking “how do you ground when it’s too cold to be barefoot on the earth?” Which leads us here!
HOW TO GROUND WHEN THE EARTH IS JUST TOO COLD
The ultimate way to promote healing is having your bare feet on the Earth, yes. But let’s not forget about the other elements that make nature so magical – Air, Water & Fire. Taking time in our day to connect to ANY of the elements is a powerful way to stay grounded, no matter the season. Before I dive in, I want you to have an understanding of the Root Chakra, because I will mention it quite a bit. The Root Chakra (one of the 7 Chakras) is located at the base of the spine, providing the link between our energetic system and the physical world. It is our base for our life force energy – aka keeping it aligned is the key to staying grounded.
Here are my favorite ways to keep myself aligned and grounded no matter the season:
- GET OUTSIDE & breathe. All it takes is 5 minutes. Place your hand on your heart & pay gratitude to the air that fills your lungs giving you life. As you breathe deep, take notice of the way your body responds to the intentional breath.
- SUNLIGHT BABY! If you can’t manage to get outside you CAN still let the sunlight touch your skin. Find the best window with the best vibe, and spend 3-5 minutes with your eyes closed basking in the sun’s warmth. Even better, meditate with the sun on your face for the deepest feeling of oneness with nature. This not only grounds you, but helps with your circadian rhythm which will support deep sleep.
- PLAY WITH YOUR PLANTS. As silly as it sounds, talking to, nurturing and touching your plants is an amazing way to connect with nature. Touch the soil, touch the leaves, make an intentional connection to the piece of earth living in your home. And let’s not forget, keeping plants in your home is an amazing way to purify the air! #winwin
- TAKE A BATH. Load that baby up with epsom salt, essential oils and let the water pull you back into alignment. Talk to the water, too! As crazy as it sounds, research has shown that water molecules react to the vibration of our words. Tell the water you are grateful for its beauty, it’s healing and it’s cleansing power. I recommend doing this to the water you drink as well!
- ROOT CHAKRA CRYSTALS. Find a crystal that is dark in color that you feel drawn to. Sage it, set your intention & play with it! Meditate with it! Keep it in your bra! My fav root chakra crystals are Red Carnelian, Red Jasper, Bloodstone, Black Tourmaline and Obsidian. Crystals are something to be admired and harnessed. There is no wrong way to use them. Do your research on the energy of these crystals and turn to them for guidance and healing.
- EAT ROOT VEGGIES. Onions, garlic, yams, beets, parsnips, turnips, carrots, artichokes, radishes, ginger, potatoes, celery, etc. These are all amazing at rooting our energy in our bodies and balancing out the root chakra. These veggies are deeply connected with the earth because of how they grow out of the ground. I recommend batch roasting a ton of these veggies to have on hand throughout your week.
- AFFIRM IT. SUPPORT IT. One of the best ways we can help ourselves stay grounded is to affirm that we are – to start simply try saying “I am grounded” & “I am safe” as parts of your daily affirmation work. Other ways to stay grounded and support our root chakra is to use grounding essential oils such as ylang-ylang, rosemary, patchouli, sandalwood, myrrh, rosemary and listening to 396 hz frequencies.
It makes me so happy to write such a spiritually driven post, knowing that you all enjoy this work as much as I do. Forever grateful.
I hope you all find a way to ground yourself this winter season! Sending love.