Ever since I was a little girl I had these bumps all over my skin. They were small and white – and around them was severely red, patchy skin. And this made me beyond self conscious, I mean as a little girl having what felt like “acne” all over my arms, thighs and face.
Anddd unfortunately, this anxiety led to an obsession with picking at them. I would scratch and squeeze and curse every little bump – leaving scars all over my arms, thighs and cheeks.
I tried lotion after lotion after lotion, but never found relief. By the time I got to high school I finally went to a dermatologist and she told me very simply…
“Oh, you just have Keratosis Pilaris.”
– dermatologist who was very unsympathetic
I was so excited!!! YES a diagnosis!!! “So what is the cure?”
“Well, there is no cure. But I will give you some topical cream. Good luck!”
– dermatologist who was very unsympathetic
So, for 25 years of my life I silently lived with embarrassment. I felt uncomfortable showing my arms and would cry to my Mom on the regular. I hated my skin.
What I hated more was feeling helpless. I was told over and over by doctors and by google (lol) that there is no real treatment other than topical creams….
I found dry brushing. And my skin forever changed.
I didn’t start dry brushing because I thought it would help my skin condition. I started because of all the amazing benefits I had learned about (which I will share with you below). But after consistently dry brushing every day for a few weeks I found that the small bumps and the redness were nearly gone. Not only that – but my skin was smooth. It was plump – it looked healthy!
And that was all it took to keep dry brushing at the top of my self-care list.
Dry-brushing is one of those rare things that just feels so damn good, is good for you and is incredibly easy to incorporate into your routine! Some experts recommend dry-brushing in the morning because they believe it has energizing qualities.
WHEN TO DRY BRUSH:
I typically use the brush on its own before my shower – this gives me THE BEST exfoliation and allows my favorite self tanner to really do its thang. But sometimes I wait until after my shower & put a bit of body oil on the brush to really work it into my skin leaving me glowing and moisturized AF.
But enough about me – onto the AMAZING reasons why you need to start dry brushing, like now.
TOP 3 REASONS WHY DRY BRUSHING WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
DEEP EXFOLIATION & SKIN RENEWAL
- As I just mentioned dry brushing is the ultimate exfoliant. The bristles of the brush manually sweep away dull, rough, and flaky skin cells, leaving your skin feeling softer and smoother than ever.
- This is an absolute MUST before applying self tanner. I use Golden Star Beauty’s organic tanning oil products on both my body & my face. These products literally go on like butter and my skin eats it up.
- I have been on the hunt for the perfect self tanner and I am so SO over the moon that Golden Star Beauty has come into my life. Not only are their products vegan, cruelty free & free of harsh chemicals, cosmetic colors, gluten and parabens, but unlike most self tanners that are water based and leave us streaky as it fades (and makes the redness on my face look worse) – GSB’s body oil and facial serum combine the highest quality natural tanning and skin care ingredients with their Certified Organic oils and extracts to not only give you glowing skin but help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles as they actively nourish the skin, ensuring a perfect fade!
- Alongside smooth skin, dry brushing encourages cell turnover so that your skin will look and feel supple, AND whether you wax or shave, a quick brush is fantastic at keeping pesky, ingrown hairs and clogged pores at bay!
- While dry body brushing won’t completely get rid of cellulite, it does help to mobilize and contribute to the even distribution of fat deposits under the skin – and if you stick at it, it’s proven to give your limbs a much smoother, and firmer, look and feel by bringing nutrient rich & freshly oxygenated blood to the skin’s surface – giving a better tone and elasticity.
LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE & ENERGY BOOST
- You all know how obsessed I am with getting my lymph moving and grooving. I Gua Sha every day to help stimulate the lymph in my face & neck. But, it is just as important to get the WHOLE BODY flowing. In today’s society we do way more sitting than ever before. And the only way our body’s lymphatic system gets moving and does what it needs to do is by us moving (exercise) or manually via massage or dry brushing. So, by dry brushing we are helping to detox our body by stimulating the lymphatic system to remove cell waste, environmental toxins, and pathogenic organisms more efficiently.
- Increased circulation = increased energy! As blood flow and circulation becomes stimulated by the swift brushing action, it gives the body, skin and mind a much needed boost! Like I mentioned, dry brushing in the morning is a great way to start the day feeling fresh & energized.
- Need to know why I am so obsessed with Gua Sha and why you should be too? Head here!
OWN YOUR WORTH
- Dry brushing (as you now see) does so many amazing things for our skin and our bodies. But dry brushing at its core – is self care. Taking care of our skin, prioritizing detoxification and lymphatic drainage all while getting soft, plump and vibrant skin screams SELF LOVE. By doing small acts of self care throughout our day it reinforces that we are worthy. We deserve to be nourished – body, mind and soul.
- When you feel good, you feel good. And when you feel good – you feel good! The more ways we can give ourselves the gift of self love the more our bodies and mind respond in positive ways. Everything is connected my friends! It may not seem like dry brushing would help with your mood & self image but it does. So, get to brushing 😉
HOW TO DRY BRUSH
- Start at your feet and brush upward in small short strokes moving up toward the heart.
- For your arms, raise them up above your head and start at the wrist moving toward the shoulder.
- For the stomach, work in a clockwise direction.
- Remember, we want a firm brush – but harsh exfoliation is never the point! So be sure not to press too hard or use a brush that’s too stiff. It is normal to have redness after dry brushing.
- I take 3-5 minutes for each dry brushing session depending on the day.