Like I have said before – I am not going to make you scroll for 5 minutes to find the goods. If you’ve been on the hunt for the BEST chili that will please any crowd, you’ve come to the right place.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic — minced
2 medium onions — diced
2 bell peppers — any color, cored and chopped
2 large carrots — peeled and diced
2 stalks celery — diced
2 pounds ground turkey — I used 93% lean*
1 1/2-2 cups water — more as needed
1 can tomato sauce — (15 ounces)
1 can diced tomatoes in their juices — (14.5 ounces)
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
OPTIONAL ADD INS (I add them all!!!)
1 medium sweet potato — peeled and cubed
1 can sweet corn
2-3 cans beans — garbanzo, black bean, kidney bean. I drain and rinse mine before adding
Sliced fresh avocado
Thinly sliced jalapeño
Plain non-fat Greek yogurt, non-dairy yogurt — or sour cream
Freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, and sweet potato – sauté until soft – roughly 7-8 min.
- Add the turkey and cook until browned.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes in their juices, the cans of beans and corn, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Let cook, uncovered to allow chili to thicken – about 45 minutes
- Stir every so often so that the chili does not stick to the bottom.
- Add more water as needed depending on your taste in thickness.
- After the 45 min – do a quick taste test and add extra seasonings as you like! More cayenne for extra kick, salt, pep, etc.
- Serve and top with your favorite toppings! Mine includes cashew yogurt, avocado and jalapeño!